What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

srsmith69

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Oklahoma
I weighed my 9 week old coturnix this weekend. Out of 40. I had 2 hens weigh 12.5 ounces and a couple roos weigh 9.6 ounces. The rest were smaller with a few 11 ounce hens and most of the roos weighing 8 ounces. My question is, what is considered a nice jumbo. Are mine undersized or average?

These came from a hatch out of the biggest 10 hens and two roos that I saved from my first and second hatches. The biggest two hens in that pen weigh 11.5 ounces and the roos weigh 8.5. I've gained an ounce for both hens and roos.

My plan is to put my 5 biggest hens with my biggest roo and hatch again. But, how big is big. How much do your coturnix weigh?

I don't know. I would think that anyone with decent sized birds would like to brag on them. I will give credit to ugly ducky on this forum. I ordered my first eggs from her. She says she has 12 to 14 oz browns, goldens and A&m. From her stock I have some goldens and browns that go 12.5 oz at 9 weeks. I thought I had kept a couple close to 14 oz hens from her eggs. But my largest I currently have of her original stock are at 11.5 oz. I did have a couple birds die though so that may be what happened to my 14 ouncers.

I've got 30 A&M eggs ordered from her now

Now we're getting somewhere. If everyone posts their quail weights, we'll all know how ours measures up. thanks guys. Keep 'em coming.

"Anyone? I know jumbos are supposed to be up to a pound"
lau.gif

GOOD ONE!

Anything coturnix in the 12-14 oz range are big for the breed/ speces. Those are nice size quail. I wont say 16oz has never/ wont ever happen/ed, but my bet is that its rare and likely some sort of bizarre condition --- kinda like coturnix andre the giant sort of thing..... The size range in this speces varies drastically in all colors and breedings. There may well be 16 oz 'ers out there, but they are not the norm, but rather the abnormal and rare. For max size in any speces of quail selective breeding is key. I think your breeding plan is sound and should be a great start if size is your goal. send a pm to sam he is selective breeding in an attempt to restore a&m like quailities he may well have some good tips/ tricks to share?

Quote:
From ebay. They are from B. Alvey, Dublin TX. Won 52 eggs. 64 was shipped. 38 hatched, with 32 survived at present. !6 males, 16 females. expecting eggs any day, we hope. This is day old:

47716_quail_chicks_1.jpg

Took these photos Saturday, April 10, 2010.

47716_female_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_2.jpg

47716_female_texas_jumbo_pharoah_quail_3.jpg

Anyone? I know jumbos are supposed to be up to a pound. But, whose ever actually had a 16 oz bird. I want to know if I should be happy with a couple 12 oz hens out of 40 hens or should I be looking for new stock. If so, who has birds that are bigger than my 12 ouncers

I've posted before on the subject of weight and it seems this is a taboo subject. Perhaps most people just don't want to admit theirs don't measure up to the advertised 16 ounce Jumbos. I don't get it.

Quote:
I need to wiegh mine they are 5 weeks old and it would really surprise me if they did not weigh 7-10 oz. lil chunky butts they are . what kind of scales does everyone use for this?

Back
Top Bottom