What are guineas good for?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by HappyPlace, Sep 23, 2011.

1. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Middle of the Mitten
    I've read quite a bit about guineas as I have been considering getting them, so I know they are good for a great deal of things, actually. [​IMG]

What I'm really wondering is: if you have chickens and ducks (and don't ever plan on eating ANY kind of bird in your care), what are guineas good for then??

Does anyone that has chickens and guineas (and maybe ducks) have them both for a specific reason?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Guineas eat ticks and weed seeds. At least that's why I have them! lol

3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    ticks. not that my chickens and ducks don't eat lots of bugs, but I have an issue with ticks in particular. haven't seen any since I got the guineas either.
    and eggs. because I eat lots and lots of eggs, and having a variety is interesting.
    and because they're interesting to watch.

4. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    Tick control!! Alarm system!!! Entertainment!!

5. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Oooo!

I might get some guineas!

[​IMG]

6. livenwpeeps

livenwpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    King William
    I sold a dozen keets to a guy earlier this year that has beagles for hunting dogs. He has a very nice set up with a line of kennels but he was fighting a war against ticks and someone told him to get him some guineas to help with the ticks. He stopped by the house yesterday evening to see if I had any more keets for sale because he had lost 3 to preditors and that they were the best for tick control!! It was cheaper for him to keep the guineas than use chemical tick control and the chemicals didn't do as good a job as the guineas.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you have neighbors close by, you may want to re-think that. They are very entertaining, but very noisy.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My niece uses them for tick control. Without them it wouldnt be safe for her kids to play in the yard.

9. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the heads-up - I will deffo have to re-think that. (Sad now)

10. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:were the ticks going to pick the kid up and carry her away, like a colony of ants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by