What are hens can I mix in my flock?

K Dane

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
I was told by a local chicken breeded that I cannot mix young (12 weekish) pullets in with my one year old hens. I was told the older hens will kill the young pullets. Any info?

The older ones might pick on the younger ones but I'm sure there is a way to introduce them with each other. I have not yet had to add chickens to my flock with a big age difference. But when you introduce them to each other you should do in it a spot where its neither the older chicken's territory or the younger's.

You may want to introduce them slowly, make sure they have a big area to meet each other in so if a hen is getting picked on, she can get away.

I usually add new ones by putting them Ina dog crate inside the run, that way they can talk to each other and get used to each other without direct contact. Then buy something very distracting and delicious, like a flock block or a cut up squash, and give that to all of them when you introduce the new ones. SUPERVISE!

I have seen a new hen being picked on, but haven't had one killed yet. I just work them together slowly and it seems to work for me.

I've never had trouble introducing new chicks with my older chicks. I guess having so many (about 30) with a couple of sleeping areas, and large free range areas they don't pay much attention to the new arrivals.

I also have broodies introducing many babies at one time on a regular basis. My birds have gotten used to many newbies.

You may want to introduce them slowly, make sure they have a big area to meet each other in so if a hen is getting picked on, she can get away.

I usually add new ones by putting them Ina dog crate inside the run, that way they can talk to each other and get used to each other without direct contact. Then buy something very distracting and delicious, like a flock block or a cut up squash, and give that to all of them when you introduce the new ones. SUPERVISE!

I have seen a new hen being picked on, but haven't had one killed yet. I just work them together slowly and it seems to work for me.
I 2nd this

I have usually wait until 16 to 20 weeks but sometimes that's not possible.

My coop and pen are split in two using chicken wire and gates so I can isolate groups of birds. They always have a couple weeks looking and living next to each before direct contact. But even then, once the gate is opened they have re-arrange pecking order. The little ones may get picked on but they sort it out after a few days.

Gotta keep an eye them that no one gets bullied to much. No one gets left in the group if they are injured and have blood showing.

Back
Top Bottom