1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are heritage breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ben is a terror, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    what breeds are they
    I see endangered, etc posted does that mean the same as endangered animals? limited? and should have more bred. I see them at all the hatcheries though.

2. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree. The bird that is bred to it's accepted, historic Standard, as established for it by the American Poultry Association. Such birds are rarely, if ever available from a hatchery, but from people who love the breed and preserve it, thus preserving a bit of our agricultural heritage.

The term "heritage" is a bit of a marketing gimmick, but hey!! If it helps folks understand the need and increase the desire to preserve the quality of old line poultry? I'm all for it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'll post two pictures. Barred Rocks. Everyone knows what a Barred Rock looks like, right? Common breed. Popular breed. One of the most common feed store or hatchery breeds ever. But, take look. Can you see a difference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by