What are Muscovies like?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Might add a couple Muscovy ducks to my flock, what are they like? What experiences have you had with them? If you have pictures, post them please!
    *Will be added as ducklings to adult flock, carefully.

2. robinjs11

robinjs11 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    I have 4 that are a few months old. They are very quiet, don't quack but make almost cricket chirping sounds. Mine are very friendly and follow me around. Mine dont fly yet but I have read that they are very good flyers and roost in trees and house tops if you dont clip their wings. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Awe! So cute! I have Rouens now, but I might add Muscovies... I'm just worried about their claws, dispositions, etc. Are the drakes aggressive during breeding season? I will be breeding Muscovies too, if I get some, but only have one coop right now. So I will need to rotate the ducks for pure breeding.

4. robinjs11

May 21, 2016
    They do have some scary looking claws and the people we got our ducklings from used gloves to pick up the adults. I dont and have not been scratched but mine were picked up daily since they were a week old and dont struggle much. Mine havent reached breeding season yet and I am a little worried about that because this whole time we thought the only drake was the darkest one, now I have been noticing one of the white ones might also be a drake. They are very brave and run up to anything, new animals, people, power tools...probably too brave for their own good lol hopefully someone else can comment on breeding season behavior because im curious too! Oh and mine are obsessed with kale! Im sure its not just a muscovy thing but they go crazy for it.

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    They go broody, right? If I don't get a drake, I may get 1-2 hens JUST for raising my Rouen ducklings. I somewhat want to breed Muscovies, but I'm still so hesitant, I might start with one or two hens and then decide. They have great reviews, though...

6. robinjs11

May 21, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    OHHHH! Haha not quite as talon-like as Holderread described, but still fairly nice sized! Considering I already have countless scars, the claws don't deter me that much. It's the kids I worry about. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by