what are my baby chicks mixed with? pictures included

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by degonfler_l'amant, May 19, 2010.

1. degonfler_l'amant

degonfler_l'amant Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    washington state
    Today i went to my local hatchery and picked up two baby chicks to replace one whom died of a heart attack in my hand:(
    anyways(= all the clerk was able to tell me is they were mixed with rhode island red and something with white in the name can anyone help me figure out the breed of bird?
    and if you have these birds or know anything about them please let me know thanx![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yeah, you probably picked up a red sex-link. The white ones are males, the brown ones are females. Guess which one you got! [​IMG]

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    sorry to tell you this but it is almost impossible to tell what breeds went into your very cute chicks, i empathize with the loss, i lost an EE today, 2 1/2 weeks old exploring the yard with momma and the playful beagle decided to play rough...... i feel terrible.

Only thoughts are Rhode Island Red and White Leghorn

4. degonfler_l'amant

May 19, 2010
    washington state
    Quote:yes the sign said it was a golden sexlink they didnt have anymore black sexlinks like the one that passed away but ive never heard of a golden sexlink..idk

5. degonfler_l'amant

May 19, 2010
    washington state
    Quote:awe im sorry for your loss ive lost many rabbits this way...crazy wolfhound playing too rough
    i lost my black sexlink chick to coccidiosis
    when she said white i also figured leghorns also, i own a few leghorns and RIR myself and with mixing my current rhode island red and leghorn rooster ive never gotten that color bird so im not completely sure myself,thanx for the help! thats two votes for leghorn(=

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Golden sex-links, red sex-links, etc. are generally the same thing. They are bred so that the chicks can be sexed at birth. They are a production creation, two different breeds mixed together in order to produce the sex-linking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by