What are my Bantam's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Rustler, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

I hope some of ya can give me some idea what variety my Bantams are. All I know about them is I bought them as day old March 19 @ The Farm Store. They are straight run bantam. Any guesses? I know it is too early to tell gender. The first one is my fav it is sooo tiny and I kind of hope it turns out to be a roo but either way it is a keeper.

This is Peepers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Fuzz cause it has "hairy" leggs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can ya believe this is Speckles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    According to my research #1 is an Old English Game bantum. It could possibly be a Dutch bantum, but the general concensus on here is OEG. I got two of those too and they are tiny!

Number 2 is a mille fleur d'uccle. They ultimately will grow spots. I have several of those here and they are sweetie pies. I can send you grownup pictures if you like or you can hit my blog and scroll back a couple of pages. [​IMG]

I also got several of your number three birds because they were so interesting. [​IMG] So far on here the closest we have guessed is a campine. Mine look just like the picture on Feathersite. Campines aren't true banties. Apparently they are just smmall large fowl. Beats me. They are interesting chicks!

Congrats on the new babies. [​IMG]

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I have to agree they look like old english games. The one that looks like a chipmunk is likely a bbr (black breasted red) and the other is likely a grey (basicly a black and white here and there coloration). But those are just guesses. Lots of birds look a lot alike. And some other people may reconize these better then I can.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  4. Chicken Rustler

Thanks CGC So did I do OK. I thought I was done buying chicsk since we were going for 12 but when we went in to get them I Just had to have 2 EE's. And then the wife didn't want to wait till the chicks started laying so I made a late night trip to he neighbors coop and got 1 GSL and 2 BR that are giving us up to 3 eggs a day. But then we stopped at The Farm Store last Thursday and I just couldn't resist these 3. I remember as a kid it was always a treat to go to grama's house and have Banty eggs ( she would save em fer me if she knew I was coming).

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Oh, I understand completely. I stopped at Tractor Supply for layer pellets and walked out with 8 banty babies. Couldn't resist the tee-tiny chipmunk babies or the little mottled ones. [​IMG]
    The funny thing is I got home and had an email from another BYCer who had found silkie babies at her TSC and had bought them for me. I now have 14 banty babies on the dining room table. Hehe!

I love the banty eggs too. I have a friend who uses them to make deviled eggs for parties. They are bite sized hor d'uevers! [​IMG]

6. Chicken Rustler

Thanks Strawberry wasn't leavin ya out just hadn't got yer post when I replyed.

7. Chicken Rustler

City Girl is it Vixen that you think one of mine may turn out like ??? That is a very cool bird. Also you have a very nice loking setup. O to be so lucky. I am making do with a barn that was built in 1925. In fact some of it is put together notch and peg rather than nails.

Here is what I was able to do to start. But it didn't cost much $45.00 total out of pocket before birds and feed which I don't think counts.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=148966

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow! I am totally jealous of your barn! I want a barn. It's on The List (you know, "The List of Really Cool Things to Build When I Have the Money"). The notch and peg construction is really neat too. What a treasure you have!

Vixen is the latest mille fleur to hatch. She was born in early December and is still growing in spots. If you go back a couple of pages (or maybe more now), you'll see her parents, Spot the Rooster and Dot the hen. They will give you an idea of what a full grown mille fluer d'uccle looks like. I fully expect Vixen to put on more spots as she grows. That's what the other two did. Dot is really spotty now and a lot fuller or broader than Vixen. Vixen is still really young.

Actually, I found some pictures for you so you don't have to go digging. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are great little birds. Spot is a pain in the tookus, but that is totally because I babied him when he was little (before I knew better). Dot and Vixen are sweet and somewhat shy. They are very gentle girls. Dot has always been somewhat skittish, but Vixen will sit in my hand and let me rub her head. Spot was great until he hit adolescence. Now he routinely comes at me when he thinks I'm messing with his girls. Brat. [​IMG] It helps that he is only 10" tall. I scoop him up and tuck him under an arm and ignore his hatefulness. He's a good little rooster though and is quick to take care of his women.
    Even though mine are hatchery chickens, I think they have turned into very pretty birds. I plan on adding more to the family. [​IMG]

edited to add that for scale purposes, the horizontal board at ground level in those pictures is a 1"x6". If that helps!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. Chicken Rustler

OMG !!!! I am SOOOO hoping I get something as BEEEUUUtiful as yer birds they are awesome.

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Awwwww, THANKS! [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure your #2 baby is a mille fleur, so you will. YAY! [​IMG]

(Be prepared to want more of them. They are addictive. The d'uccle comes in a couple of other colors too. I love the spots, but the porcelein (sp?) d'uccle is gorgeous too.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by