1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are my beauties? Hens or Roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roseschickies, Nov 6, 2012.

1. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Please see the pic below. I think I have all Roos! :( and I can't have Roos, so I will need to exchange them if that is the case! Even though i would be sad to get rid of any of them at this point..
    Thanks for any help
    ![​IMG]
    Tully was curious, and got in this pic as well! lol
    [​IMG]
    Name is Styx, I believe is a Cochin, Gender?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Pretty Silkie, Name is Fluffy, Not Sure Gender
    [​IMG]
    Name, Tully, Plymouth Rock, Not Sure Gender

2. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    How old are they? Tully is definitely a roo, the gender of the two white chicks would depend on aga and I haven't a clue with your silkie cos I am rubbish with them.

3. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    They are all about 11 weeks old

4. Dewsetter

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England

I have just realised your two white chicks are actually one! Sorry! Also the aga was a typo, I meant age. I am not having a good night! Lol

5. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Ha! yes I have 2 picks of Styx, and 2 Picks of Fluffy. I was trying to get a good pic, they just didn't want to hold still! :) again they are about 11 weeks old. :)

6. Dewsetter

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    If they are that age and going on comb alone then I would think the white one looks like a pullet, however having said that the tail is quite sparse which is more like a roo trait. I would still guess at pullet tho. Tully is without doubt a boy and I am sure somebody more knowledgable will be along soon to give you some info on your silkie. Best of luck, it's soul destroying when you gt Roos when hoping for pullets x

7. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Thank you! I have been looking around online to see if I could figure it out. This is tricky stuff! I also posted a couple weeks ago asking about my Polish, which is no doubt a rooster! so I am down 2 of the 5 I picked up. And i am getting a feeling the Silkie is a Roo as well. But I am no expert as this is my 1st experience with having chickens, and I will say I really enjoy having them!

Does anyone have any feedback on having a Roos vocals cut? Is that an option or something people do?

8. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Tully is not a Plymouth Rock, don't really know what he is though. :/

9. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    hmm.. ok.. i was taking a guess as to that is what Tully was, hopefully someone else can help me with his breed :) Thanks!

10. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I believe tully is a silver leghorn, possibly a silver pheonix but wrong leg color

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by