What are my best options?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 2, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hi, so i have male duck that was raised by a Silky hen.. He still thinks he is a chicken.. I have witnessed him trying to pull some of my chickens in to the pond... My pond isn't big, but could drown a chicken fast... I just got rid of my "bully" duck, so now my hens don't have a dominant duck taking care of them.. Am I going to have to fence my pond off so that the chickens can't get to it, and so the ducks all have to stay together? I don't understand why he hasn't realized he is a duck yet and not a chicken... He will be a year old this spring/summer... Oh and he is a Pekin duck... What are your thoughts? I have found I chicken floating in my pond already a few months ago... Please advise....

2. I'd say to separate the species or eventually you'll have drowned chickens . . . male drakes are awfully persistent. He will injure the hens even on land when he is trying to breed them.

I think if he is stuck with the ducks that he'll eventually figure out that he's a duck . . .

1 person likes this.
  3. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thank you. That is what I was thinking but I just needed verification... I will have to get some fencing supplies and seporate them.

4. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    This post reminds me of a story I read on a homestead website. A kid thought he'd play a trick on mother nature and put a turkey egg with a duck moma, a chicken with a turkey and a duck with the turkey. He ended up pulling the turkey out of the pond all day long. teehee

Anyway yep fence in the pond until the duck figures it out. Trying to fool mother nature always gets us in trouble doesn't it? [​IMG]

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG]Yea can't fool mother nature for too long..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by