What are my chances of a hatch after a EXTREAME temp. spike

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Aug 24, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    It temp was high, i mean anywhere between105-108 ! I dont know how long it was that high, Im incubating in that little cheap useless yellow incubator, Im hoping that it was only that high around the light bulb

6 button quail eggs

How do i know if the chicks are alive, I cant candle because the eggs are to dark and i dont have a strong enough lightbulb

They are schedualed to hatch tommarow (8/25) but probably aren't because EVERY mornig my Grandma decided it was hot at 7:00 in the mornig and opened the backyard door and every window . . . -_- so the temp was around 91 but when i woke up i would run, put foil around the outside of the incubator and ran to shut EVERYTHING !

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Well my dad said that if i put it in water and it sinks its alive . .. i for one am extreamly sceptical

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Come On Help Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    They hatch tomorrow, so it's really wait and see this late in the process. They may survive, but there's not much anyone could tell you this late in the process.

5. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    they should be alright. I have heard off eggs hatching that went through temp spikes of 110+. good luck!

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I wouldn't give up. They can handle temp spikes. Good luck.[​IMG]

7. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    thanks for the support [​IMG] thats really wat i needed today [​IMG]

8. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah, that's the thing about it -- you just NEVER know for sure until it's over. There have been a lot of threads on here where people have had spikes of 105, 108, 110 degrees and still had decent hatches. There was one thread a few weeks back where the poster had temp spike to 135 and still hatched something like 8 out of 25. So, hope for the best.

Also, as you pointed out, you don't know for sure HOW LONG the eggs were overheated, and exactly how hot the eggs themselves got.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

9. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Quote:probably for like 2-3 hours . . .. . .

10. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    NO babies .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by