1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are my chances of getting a hen out of 2 white frizzle cochin bantams?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmgirl200, Feb 26, 2015.

1. farmgirl200

farmgirl200 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Hi! I am getting new chicks(yay!!) in May or June, and I would like to know my chances of getting, out of 2 white frizzle cochin bantams, of getting a hen. They are bantams, which means I can't select rooster or hen because they can't tell. I would really like a hen though:/

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Well it would be a 50/50 chance. Where are you getting them from? The older the chicks are the more likely you are to be able to tell gender.

3. farmgirl200

farmgirl200 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2015
    Yeah I know when they're older I'll be able to tell. Well it's just a local farm supply store.

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    If they're actually straight run, the probabilities are as follows:

25% = 2 roosters
    50% = 1 rooster 1 hen
    25% = 2 hens

So you have a 75% chance of getting atleast 1 hen.

5. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Life never seems to work out quite so mathematically even. I got 5 Isbars hoping for both genders...all pullets. Three Blue Bresse again hoping for both genders all pullets. Three bantam cochins hoping for pullets for my daughter to use for 4-H. One died at day 3 and the other two were cockerels. 12 Jubilee Orpingtons 5 pullets 7 cockerels. You need to have a plan for your unwanted cockerels if you buy unsexed day old chicks. Otherwise try to find a local source for what you want and plan on paying a bit more to get a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by