1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are my chances of having one go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dento, Jan 15, 2011.

1. dento

dento Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    I have 8 Barrred rock hens and 10 red sex link hens. i also have a roo of each breed. what are the chances that one of the girls will turn broody?

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barred Rocks are not known for being broody, even less so are Sex Links, but I have seen a broody Sex Link before. Just once.

4. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Hey that's my question!!! lol

Mine are RIR, not BR, though. I read that mine are supposed to be great mothers, if they will go broody. Big if, no one says to expect though. Good luck!!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Heritage bred Rhode Island Reds can indeed make good moms, but hatchery/production Reds are as good as any other common hatchery breed like Barred Rocks and the sort. [​IMG] They're bred for egg production, which means culling out and sacrificing any broody tendencies.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Red sex links are mixes ( with the breed, Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.) RIR are infrequent brooder;
    can be dutiful mother.

And NH, are good, or occasional to frequent, brooder; good mother

So thats the blood line

If it they came from a factory, They most likely have the broody ness bred right out of them.

Sources, http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have hatchery RIR and EE's I started with 3 years ago. The second year one of the RIR, much to my surprise, went broody and was a great momma to 4 if I remember correctly. Then this past spring, again in May same as last year, she did it again. AND in August her sister went broody. Every one said its so rare for hatchery RIR to have the instinct but Im glad mine do. You never know. I do think they got the urge partly because of the amount of eggs in the box because everyone uses the same box to lay.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by