What are my chances of leaving silkies to raise their chicks

emilythestrange

Chirping
Oct 22, 2020
Midlands UK
I have 2 boys and 2 girl silkies kept together in a coop with a run attached, door open. I let them free range 4 days a week +
I’m still waiting for the hens to lay
I am looking into raising chicks

would I be able to leave the eggs under the hen hoping she is broody and won’t reject the chicks and kill them?
Will the hen regurgitate food for the chicks ?
Would I need to separate the hen with eggs ?

sorry I’m a newbie

It is very likely that your hens will go broody , set, and raise a brood of chicks. Most roosters are good with chicks, but keep an eye on them. I like to keep setting hens isolated from the rest of the flock if possible. You will need to provide a starter/grower feed for the chicks. Hens will lead their chicks to the feed and call them, but they do not regurgitate feed for them. Good luck in raising a bunch of silkies.

#1 The hen has to be broody to sit on eggs. You can't just leave eggs in the coop and hope for the best. Silkies tend to go broody often, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.
If she hatches her own eggs, she won't reject the babies.

#2 Chickens don't regurgitate food for the babies. You need to buy chick feed and then offer oyster shells on the side for the moms.

#3 You most likely won't have to separatet, but it depends on your chickens. If you think your other chickens will attack the babies, then separate the mom. If you think they'll leave the babies alone, then you can leave the mom with the rest of the flock.

5731DFB4-6395-44B0-B19D-E058C76AD558.jpeg

One of the pairs? Am I right in thinking the one at front is a rooster and one at the back is a hen? Neither crows or lays

Also how can two white silkies look so different?! Totally different body shapes and neck etc
The one at the back has a weird shaped body and long neck lol

Back
Top Bottom