What are my chances? Questions....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensioux, Nov 11, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have 6 call ducks (various colors) and they have been breeding daily. I found 2 eggs in the nest this week. I am not sure which girl laid them. We have had really nice warm weather. I was thinking of putting these 2 eggs in the bator. What are the chances that they are fertile? It's so late in the season, is this a good idea? I have read "expect the worst, hope for the best". What does this mean? I have read all the info and all the difficulties in hatching call eggs. What would be the worst? Please advise. Thanks!

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok we have read you have 6 call ducks but you did not mention how many drakes and how many hens

3. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How silly of me....3 drakes, 3 hens.....sorry.

4. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Anybody?

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Give it a go. Expect the worst, that way you won't be disappointed when nothing happens. The very worst that could happen would be an egg explosion in the incubator, but if you candle at 10 days, your should catch it if is is going bad before it blows. Hope for the best, You can always hope that they will hatch. It certainly won't hurt anything to try, as long as you are prepared to care for them at this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by