What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EE5RR3, Mar 3, 2017.

1. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    I borrowed a little Giant circulated air incubator with the self turner. I set it up before placing my eggs, humidity held at 47%. Fastforward day 18 when I try to increase my humidity and find the incubator wont hold water. Humidity has stayed at 47 %. 1 chick has hatched but what are my chances anymore will? Side note I tried misting my eggs to increase humidity without any result.

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    The humidity is quite low but i'm glad one has hatched

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Why want it hold water? Did you remove the turner on day 18, if so you could put several small containers of water in it to increase the humidity. You are asking if anymore will hatch but you have not told us what day the eggs are on now???

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  4. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    I am on day 20 today. I did take the turner out on day 18 and the one chick hatch the rest have not even pipped yet however.

5. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    I am really not sure why it wont hold the water everything seems fine but the water is coming out of the bottom

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    So put some wet sponges or a shallow pan of water in the incubator. The misting probably just dried out too fast.

7. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Get some water in it and close it---eggs are not due to hatch

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  8. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Griffith, Indiana
    Try candling your eggs near the air sack. If you see their beak or them moving inside then their alive. Also you might need to assist them to hatch. To do so, candle them by the air sack, make sure you won't poke or hurt the chick, poke a small hole near the air sack. Slowly remove the egg shell. If you see blood, pat dry and continue. I remove the entire egg shell from the chick and leave it attached by the cord.

9. EE5RR3

EE5RR3 Just Hatched

Mar 3, 2017
    Sullivan MO
    My Coop
    I will give it a try

10. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I assume they're chicken eggs -- which usually hatch in about 21 days, give or take a day. I'm not familar with a Little Giant -- I use a Hovabator -- but are you sure it's supposed to hold water? Mine has a tray that goes in the bottom with water channels in it. The bottom of the incubator itself has vents in it so it wouldn't hold water. I don't use the water tray. I use condiment cups. In my setup, two condiment cups of water holds the humidity at about 35%. On day 18, I put four cups in to bring the humidity to about 68% and once the chicks start hatching, I take one cup out. The newly hatched chicks are wet and increase the humidity, so I have to remove a cup to compensate and keep the humidity around 65-to-68 percent.

Edited to add: To increase humidity, you have to increase the surface area of the water, not the depth of the water; if that helps any.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by