What are my chickens doing in these pictures?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trenth265, Feb 5, 2013.

1. trenth265

trenth265 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    Right before it got dark tonight I let them out for a few minutes, they pecked around for bugs as usual for like 2 minutes then the started digging holes and laying with each other and rolling around it was pretty funny and interesting. My only thoughts are they were either cold and warming up and or trying to sleep. [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good guesses, but incorrect. They were dustbathing. Wait until a nice sunny day when they sprawl out and sunbathe - true, not kidding with you.

3. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Dust bathing. You'll see that a lot and it's good for lice and such. Also common for them to all go together; you could have 100 acres and they'd all still likely crowd out each other for the same spot.

4. trenth265

Feb 4, 2013
    Oh wow thats funny i cant wait to see that!! hahaha And dustbathing, does that mean they are actually trying to clean themselves? or what are they thinking as they are doing it?

5. trenth265

Feb 4, 2013
    thats interesting!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Dust bathing is so interesting to see! When I first saw it with my birds I thought they were having some sort of seizure - two were on their sides and looked like they were having convulsions! They were scooping up dirt and flinging it up on their backs and looked like they were at deaths door. But then they pop up, shake off all the dust in a big cloud and go on their merry way!

7. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Yup... when I first saw 'em I was surprised to see how they contorted their bodies, looked so weird. Mine love to dust bathe in the roses then shake off on the porch.

8. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    yeah it is freaky..
    [​IMG]

9. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Dust bathing is very interesting to watch specially when you know what they are doing, what caught me by surprise (new raising chickens) is when they sunbathe, first I thought my pullet was actually dieing and got very concerned, then after a little while she gets up and goes about her normal business of scratching and pecking.

10. Sunyoung

Sunyoung Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Oregon
    They were dustbathing (as many others have already said). It's funny to watch and perfectly normal. Mine usually do it as a social thing too - very funny to see. [​IMG]

And to show that it's a normal and natural instinct - even my chicks love doing it...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by