What are my chickens?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WanderingWarbler, Jun 19, 2019.

1. WanderingWarbler

WanderingWarbler Hatching

Jun 19, 2019
    Hi everyone, new here. I acquired these two beauties about a month ago. Some man bought them for his son at Easter and decided he didn't want them. :rolleyes: They have since then been with me. They're my first two chickens so I'm unsure of sex and species. He told me they were both hens and one was a Rhode Island Red (Tina), the other an Ameraucana (Louise). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm thinking they're about 2.5-3 months old atm. Last question, when should they begin laying assuming they're pullets? TIA!

Attached Files:

2. CJLR

CJLR Chirping

Jun 9, 2019
    Mine have never laid before a year old

3. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! Lovely ladies you have! I think your seller was correct on the breeds. I'm not sure the difference between Ameraucana's and Easter Eggers, but Louise is one or the other.
    If you live in the northern hemisphere, you should get eggs at 5-7 months from them.

4. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    The “amerucauna” is an Easter Egger, they both are pullets and they should start laying at about 20 weeks (6 months) the RIR will lay nice brown eggs and the EE anything from brown to blue!

SueT likes this.
  5. hamilton00

hamilton00 In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    Welcome to BYC! Your Ameraucauna looks just like mine, and mine is a pullet so I'd say yours is too. As for your RIR, my guess is also a pullet, but I could be wrong. Maybe you could post another pic of your RIR. If they are pullets, they should start laying when they're around 6 months of age, they could lay sooner or later though depending on the breed.

6. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    The Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger, I’m not sure about yours, but if it looks the same it’s most likely an EE too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: