What are my chicks going to look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by spikennipper, Jul 21, 2010.

1. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    My eggs from my light Sussex Bantam hen and my Black Silkie cockerel are just starting to hatch and the first chick appears black with a yellow mask does anyone have any idea what they are going to turn out like colourwise? I would love to know [​IMG] indeed if any of you have attempted a pairing of a silkie and a light sussex I would love to see some pics I have heard the hens from this cross are the most broodiest birds on the planet! [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Silkies can be difficult in detemining what offspring will look like since they are often mixes. If both chickens are pure in color, the adult offspring should be pure black. The juvenile plumage can have some colors in it, like the pure black Australorp juveniles have some white wing feathers but the adults do not. Depending on what is going on with the parents though, other colors could show up. So expect black but don't be shocked if the black is not solid.

3. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Yeah I see what you mean! after the first chick hatched another arrived shortly after and that was yellow with a dark streak down it's back then I got a pure black one after that and the last was another yellow! [​IMG] they shall look interesting will update this thread with pics when they have grown a little. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by