What are my chicks?

Senna95

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Woodland
I bought some ringneck pheasant eggs from a local guy a few weeks ago, and they're hatching now. Only I'm not sure what I have! I was expecting buff-colored striped babies. What I got is black, white wing-tips, and white throats. They look almost like barred rock babies, only smaller.

I'll try to post photos later.

I would be able to give you a more accurate answer with pics, but it sounds like by your description that you got some green mutants. They are a mutation.

Okay, here are some pictures. All the eggs hatched differently. I got some striped ones, which I assume are regular ringnecks, but I also got some brown, and some black and white. Sorry about the picture quality on some of them.....

53389_pheasant_i.jpg

53389_pheasant_ii.jpg

Okay, so let me ask this: I only have one pen for them (I only wanted a few pheasants. I was going to sell or give away the rest....). Now I have all of these cool colors. If I mix them, and hatch their eggs, what will I get? Also, I know that the roosters can get agressive with each other at times. Can I keep more then one in my pen (with females)? It's about 250 square feet, and has lots of branches and places to hide.

I've been studying some duck color genetics..... I assume pheasant genetics works the same way. Lots of different genes controling patern, color, color expression, color masking..... etc. Is there a good source online to look at?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom