What are my chicks?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Senna95, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    I bought some ringneck pheasant eggs from a local guy a few weeks ago, and they're hatching now. Only I'm not sure what I have! I was expecting buff-colored striped babies. What I got is black, white wing-tips, and white throats. They look almost like barred rock babies, only smaller.

I'll try to post photos later.

2. tysonb24

tysonb24 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Utah
    I would be able to give you a more accurate answer with pics, but it sounds like by your description that you got some green mutants. They are a mutation.

3. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    You may have japanese green pheasants, if you do you're lucky!

4. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Okay, here are some pictures. All the eggs hatched differently. I got some striped ones, which I assume are regular ringnecks, but I also got some brown, and some black and white. Sorry about the picture quality on some of them.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First pic looks like a Black Ringneck.
    Second pic a domestic Green Ringneck.
    Third pic a regular Ringneck.

6. tysonb24

tysonb24 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Utah
    Ditto!! [​IMG]

7. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Wow! Well, what a pleasant surprise!

8. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Okay, so let me ask this: I only have one pen for them (I only wanted a few pheasants. I was going to sell or give away the rest....). Now I have all of these cool colors. If I mix them, and hatch their eggs, what will I get? Also, I know that the roosters can get agressive with each other at times. Can I keep more then one in my pen (with females)? It's about 250 square feet, and has lots of branches and places to hide.

I've been studying some duck color genetics..... I assume pheasant genetics works the same way. Lots of different genes controling patern, color, color expression, color masking..... etc. Is there a good source online to look at?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by