1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are my cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by my3bratz2008, Jun 25, 2011.

1. my3bratz2008

my3bratz2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    I have 2 cockerels (that were supposed to be girls) and was told they were ameracaunas. One of them really has no tail, and looking at breeds, that fits for auracaunas...they black one totally confuses me, but it has puff cheeks like amers. Both are approx 12 wks old. Any guesses???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    i think the first is an americauna pullet. the second one is a deleware cock. that is what i think.

3. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    should a pullet have such a high red comb at this age?

4. MVchickens

MVchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Thats an awfully big comb for 12 weeks don't you think? and I would say EE and Deleware (poor breeding quality or mix)

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one is a mixed breed something, not an Ameraucana. The second is a Delaware cockerel.

6. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    on the black one, what other breeds have black legs and muffs? and I know it can't be a pullet with that kind of comb.....and the white one does resemble a delaware, but I went on the breed page and they should have yellow legs (his are pinkish) and less barring on the backside and neck.....I hate when breeders sell things that they are not really.

7. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:his/her comb is very red and large. but his feathers are rounded not pointed like a roos. now that i look again, it's not an americauna, amercaunas don't have those type of combs. have u heard any crowing or odd noises?

8. my3bratz2008

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    no noises yet...I will have my daughter catch it so I can take close up of feathers...I believe the neck feathers do point

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:his/her comb is very red and large. but his feathers are rounded not pointed like a roos. now that i look again, it's not an americauna, amercaunas don't have those type of combs. have u heard any crowing or odd noises?

Look again at the hackle [neck] feathers on the first bird. I think you'll find it's a cockerel. It's a cross breed, not any specific breed.
    The second bird is probably also a cross. It is sort of Delawareish but the pattern is way off & the leg colour is wrong. Of course it may just be a poorly bred Delaware.
    This is another example of how meaningless the term "breeder" is.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The "smut" on that second cockerel is not all that uncommon in a young Delaware, but by that age, it usually begins to clear out. If it stays, it's poor quality, and as NYReds said, the leg color is really bad on him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by