1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are my girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by qtmomo112, Mar 13, 2012.

1. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    ok here are a few pictures of my girls. can anyone tell me what they are? we live in the bahamas and this is what we consider "bush" chickens. i got them in october fully grown from someone who didnt take the best care of them (they only got about 2 cups of food between 30+ chickens). my 7 girls were the only ones living in the end of it all. i fed them layer pellets for months and they finally started to lay in february. at the moment i get 3 to 5 eggs a day and thats it. does anyone have any advice about them or whatever they think? also if you know what they could be i would apprieciate it. thanks a bunch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    What about Cubalayas Bantams They only have two types in the Cackle book though, a Wheaten and a Black Breasted Red. Everything else looks right but the colors. Says here they carry their tails down , do yours?? The OEGB all look like they carry their tails upright. I can't see the top bird too well but from what I can see maybe a Silver Laced Wyandotte Bantam ??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Most mixed 'bush' birds in non-asian areas are descendants of Old English Gamefowl. They are popular in fighting rings, and most people who use them for that purpose are none-too careful or responsible with them. This ends up producing a mixed bag of genetics.

The good news is that they are probably good mothers, if you ever want to breed them.

4. qtmomo112

qtmomo112 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Bahamas
    well i looked up cubalayas bantams and it only gave my pictures of roosters. and they look like the roosters we have running around over here that everyone uses of fighters (sadly). they dont carry theyre tails down. and theyre all different colors. i have the black and white, a grey, solid white, 3 reds (one with grey legs), a kinda tanish one, and one white with black and tan spots. i figured theyre some type of bantam but not knowing were they came from i think i got some heinz-57s here :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by