What are my girls?

LulaGirl6

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Western Pennsylvania
Ok, I admit, I don't know what breed my ladies are. Growing up around chickens, I like to think I know everything about them, but the cold hard truth is that I don't know squat. That said, I got my girls from Tractor Supply this spring. I was supposed to get 2 "red pullets," (that's all they were labeled as) 2 "white pullets," and 2 "Araucanas." But, now that they're all grown up and starting to lay, my whites have hardly any white on them, my reds I don't think are dark enough to be RIRs, and my Araucanas I'm thinking may actually be Ameracaunas...I think. I can't pronounce the two breeds, and I can't distinguish them either - lol! Anyway, any and all help is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the terrible pictures, but they're all I've got for now because my actual camera has come up missing. Thanks in advance!

Ok, I admit, I don't know what breed my ladies are. Growing up around chickens, I like to think I know everything about them, but the cold hard truth is that I don't know squat. That said, I got my girls from Tractor Supply this spring. I was supposed to get 2 "red pullets," (that's all they were labeled as) 2 "white pullets," and 2 "Araucanas." But, now that they're all grown up and starting to lay, my whites have hardly any white on them, my reds I don't think are dark enough to be RIRs, and my Araucanas I'm thinking may actually be Ameracaunas...I think. I can't pronounce the two breeds, and I can't distinguish them either - lol! Anyway, any and all help is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the terrible pictures, but they're all I've got for now because my actual camera has come up missing. Thanks in advance!

Looks like 3 Sex links & an EE (far right bird)

EE (sold as Ameracauna)

What color are legs? Probably another EE.
Great bunch of girls you have! Are you getting any eggs yet?

The legs of the EEs are a blackish green color. They remind me of hawks lol. Fshinggrl, I get about 3 a day so far...all brown. I've had one tiny blue egg about 2 weeks ago. They may be hiding more of them since they are all free range but I haven't found any yet

The legs of the EEs are a blackish green color. They remind me of hawks lol. Fshinggrl, I get about 3 a day so far...all brown. I've had one tiny blue egg about 2 weeks ago. They may be hiding more of them since they are all free range but I haven't found any yet
Are you sure it isn't a robin's? Haha! The sex links tend to lay earlier than other breeds so it isn't surprising that you are getting some browns. The EEs are not laying yet, or rather one is just starting. Perhaps there is a hidden nest somewhere! (Likely)

Are you sure it isn't a robin's?  Haha!  The sex links tend to lay earlier than other breeds so it isn't surprising that you are getting some browns.  The EEs are not laying yet, or rather one is just starting.  Perhaps there is a hidden nest somewhere!  (Likely) 

Well it was definitely much too big for a robin lol but I suppose anything is possible (although ouch!) I'll have to look around for a hidden nest somewhere before the hubby mows the lawn :O
Thanks so much for your help everyone - I don't even know sex links existed!

Back
Top Bottom