what are my give aways?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new&learning, Aug 21, 2010.

1. new&learning

new&learning Out Of The Brooder

hi there...i am new with the chicken thing and learning more and more every day and loving every minute of it...i ran into a couple that was moving out of state and had a trio to give away...so of course they were "pretty"so i took them not knowing what i had...the two hens are colored a little differently...one is darker with freckles and the other i was able to get a good picture of and is lighter [​IMG]the young roo doesnt have tail feathers and i am assuming that another roo got them or he might be molting[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]i hope these are good enough picture to tell...i also have a few questions: i have 3 EE and 1RIR that are about 6 months old...these resident chickens dont seem to be letting the new hens down off of the roost....i let them all out to 'run' from about 5-bedtime and i think that is the only time they eat or drink...i have had the trio for about 2 weeks and the picking on stage seems to be much better but they roost all the time but when i let them out ...is this maybe a breed thing or just still scared and shy...even the roo is really layed back( which im loving) any help is appropriated and thank you in advance...cathy [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Before someone jumps in and says EE's I thought I better say there Faverolles..

Chris

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Yes- super sweet birds. I LOVE mine [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Yup, and the dark one is a rooster, the others are hens, in case you were wondering.

5. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Yes, favorolles and they are one of my favourite breeds. Very calm and gentle, often go broody, and lay lovely creamy coloured eggs.

6. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Definately salmon faverolles [​IMG] Love them. I have one hen and she is just so sweet. You have two hens and one roo.

7. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    Quote:I forgot to mention that my favorolle is the bottom of the pecking order. She is just so docile, and rarely fights back. She is establishing her place with the younger chickens, though. Guess she doesn't want to lose her spot, lol.

The established flock will be dominant and the favorolles probably won't push their luck, just yet. Give it time. Maybe they'll get brave and interact after a while.

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Definitely faverolles!! I love faverolles!! This is one of the few breeds that you can tell the genders apart based on color. The roos are dark and the hens are tan. [​IMG]

9. new&learning

new&learning Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG] thank you for all of the replies i looked up some pictures and the hen all seem to have blonde breasts. the one hen has a blonde breast but the one in the back ground is speckled and doesnt have such a fluffy face...is that still a salmon or is she a cross? thank you in advance..cathy [​IMG]

10. sassychickengirl

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    new&learning :

[​IMG] thank you for all of the replies i looked up some pictures and the hen all seem to have blonde breasts. the one hen has a blonde breast but the one in the back ground is speckled and doesnt have such a fluffy face...is that still a salmon or is she a cross? thank you in advance..cathy [​IMG]

My salmon is just now working on her fluffy face and she is over a yr. old, lol. I noticed pin feathers on her a couple of weeks ago in that area and it's getting fuller now. I just love her. She is my favorite chicken of all [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is from a while ago​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by