What are my new brown girls? Welsummers? PICs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aussieheelr, Jan 7, 2010.

1. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I was given 7 free girls today. 5 of the white girls and 2 of the brown ones.
    I'm pretty sure the whites are white rocks... maybe they're white orps?
    And the browns I'm unsure if they're partridge rocks or welsumers... I'll love them either way but secretly hoping for welsumers for those darker brown speckled eggs.

They're supose to be around 1-3 years old. The person I got them from didn't know much about them and had got them from an auction, so they have "no known origion" I guess you could say.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Looks like RIR s and the rest are Plymouth white rocks. Nice BIRDS !!

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    she could be a welsummer but missing her tail maybe...should be a darker tail

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I do not believe the red one is a Rhode Island Red. Its hackles appear to have almost a partridge color to them. I am not really sure what it is. The others appear to be White Rocks.

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Brown reminds me of my Welsummers. Could the whites be White Rocks?

6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually yes on the tail thing. I got very excited at first... thought I was getting Araucana (I'm sure I spelled that wrong [​IMG] ) since I didn't see tails, but they were with a pretty nasty roo (who is now in a brine in the fridge) that had ripped out a lot of tail feathers on them. They all have the tail... just have to grow their tail feathers back.

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think the red one is a New Hampshire, look at the pictures on feathersite of the hens and you will see the same penciling pattern around the neck. She has a face like one of those gender confused hens though. Smart thinking in cookin' up that roo. I am thinking I will make saddles for my girls if I see a rough roo out there riding.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say she's a Wellie. Her tail will come back- I have a BR that looked just like that. It took some time, but she's normal now.

9. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Def. not a RIR, she has what looks like pin stripes through each feather, I think that's what Wellies have isn't it? As for the white ones, they look more like white orps to me, rocks should have yellow legs. Any experts on these breeds feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken!

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The white girls look like rocks- if they've been laying for a while their legs can fade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by