What are my scovies doing??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lesander, Dec 31, 2013.

1. lesander

lesander Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    Hi there my ducks started one by one today doing this weird/shake fluff up thing? It started with 2 and then Echo the brown one you can see starts doing it...I have never seen them do this before, just wondering if it was normal, just being ducks... or not? They are about 6 months old, it isn't very cold here at all, the snow we had already melted, they have a dry warm duck house they sleep in, have a covered raised up area they can get to whenever they want as well. I cleaned their pen all out today and didn't notice mites or bugs at all. They all acted fine followed me out around the yard, ate, swam in their pool. Do your ducks do this ever? Thanks, happy new year!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't have a clue as to what they are up to. [​IMG] Judging by the video they are in excellent condition, and I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Happy New Year to you and yours.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've seen my Scovy's do this but not to the extreme yours are, mainly right after bathing like it's part of the drying process. But scovy's can do some strange things.like lifting head straight up in the air and biting at it. LOL

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, Lydia, I've seen the 'air munching'. Strange/different creatures for sure.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yep, and also putting their heads down and looks like they are skimming water but there is no water. [​IMG]

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Yes! Have you ever seen them skim the water for floating insects or mosquito eggs?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes they do that too, I figured they were catching very tiny insects in the air when doing the skimming other wise too. They are pretty cool birds.

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, they are very interesting. As a kid I had a large flock of muscovies. I would pen them up every night, and when I let them loose in the AM they would rush to the pond and skim all insects and mosquito egg 'rafts' from the previous evening.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One less mosquito bite makes it all worth it. [​IMG]

10. lesander

lesander Out Of The Brooder

I went to give the girls some peas this afternoon and noticed after the rain we had some of the ends of their feathers aren't drying out and are sagging down, the rain is still running off their back like usual. Problem is I live on the west coast of British Columbia it always rains here, and they seem to love it! I've read varying opinions, some say to take away their pool and lock them up dry, others say the pool will stimulate the oil gland when done swimming. Is there something I can add to their diet to help? They have access to a dry area whenever they want they prefer the yard! I don't want them to get worse, if I have to lock them up for a couple days I will, they never have been locked up like that though :( any tips would be great. I also switched to shavings in their bed the feed store had no straw,it seems to be dry but maybe the sshavings retain to much moisture?? Thanks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by