what are my turkeys?(pics)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by greenbird, May 18, 2011.

1. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    they came in a box that said black, but obviously they aren't black. i dont know much about turkeys, i just have them for pets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi... I am a newbie to turkeys but in doing research on the breeds I would say those are Chocolate turkeys [​IMG]

3. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    These are chocolate turkeys: http://www.porterturkeys.com/choctom1b.jpg

These
    are what we call Norfolk Black in the UK: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Norfolk_Black_Turkey,_Kew_Gardens.jpg

And
    these are what you guys call the Spanish Black: http://oursheepnmor.us/images/100_0340_76gc.jpg

Not
    sure what you'd call a Norfolk Black over there, but that's what your birds look like to me. We call a standard bronze over here a Norfolk/Cambridge Bronze - not sure if that's the same for the black.

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Its kind of hard to tell the color in these pictures because the light is at bad angles and turkeys tend to reflect colors that aren't really there (Skip the physics lecture).

The color looks somewhat chocolate, but the have barred wings. Pure chocolates should be black based. The wings on your birds suggest they might be bronze based birds with the chocolate genes. Other possibilities may also explain them.

It would be nice to have a picture of an entire turkey filling the frame with the sun at the photographers back. Try to get it with a neutral background as well (no snow) so that the colors of the bird show up well in the photo.

5. greenbird

May 11, 2011
    I'll try to put new pics on tomorrow, yeah the barred wings threw me off too. Could they be half bronze half black?

6. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    chocolate..

7. greenbird

May 11, 2011
    here are recent photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Definitely not chocolate. They are way too irridescent, and the wings are wrong. The irridesence (man, I should look up how to spell this word!) with the barred wing points strongly to being standard bronze based. But the tail coverts are not tipped in light tan, and the tail band is not light either. Tails are dark sort of like eastern wild. I would say you have some bronzes that have been crossed somewhere in their past, but I'm not sure what would produce the colors you have. If it was a bronze X black, they would look like black turkeys. The new pictures make them look heavier than standard birds. Maybe broad-breasted X eastern wild? I don't know anything about the wild genes so I don't know how they would express themselves in a cross. Would love to hear some more opinions [​IMG]

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    this is a chocolate and you do not have one.[​IMG]Is it a spanish?

10. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    They are black spanish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by