What are odds? Cockerel fertile at age 17 weeks - and successful?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CarolJ, Dec 13, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    My beautiful 17-week old wheaton Araucana cockerel was killed by a hawk on Sunday. My husband saw the hawk and ran out - but it was too late. Casper had faced down the hawk allowing the hens and pullets to run to safety. Even my husband shed a tear or two because it was so much fun watching Casper strut around like he was such hot stuff.

My question: For the week prior to his death, Casper had started crowing and mounting several of my older hens. I've saved all the eggs they laid Sunday, yesterday and today - and thought that I would take a chance at hatching some just in case Casper was fertile and successful in his mating attempts. I don't want to open an egg to check for fertility because if it is - that would be one less possible chick. And there are no other roos in that flock.

So what are the odds that I might possibly get some chicks? Am I wasting my time, or is it worth giving incubation a try?

P.S. On Sunday afternoon, hubby stared building an enormous covered run for the chickens. And I've made a down payment on an LGD that'll be old enough to leave home in February.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    I would also like to know. I have 2 hens laying now, and was hoping to put my 16 week old Ameraucana cockeral in with them after Christmas (he would be about 18weeks then). I know his female hatchmatches don't seem to be close to laying, but I haven't been able to find anything about the male maturation rate.

3. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I had some serama that i hatched earlier in the spring and by 4 months they were fertile and already goin broody, hatched all the eggs laid so maybe you'll get lucky too!

4. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have a dozen eggs in my incubator right now from 20 week old roos and older hens they are fertile so maybe there is a chance al you can do is try

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I could be wrong, but if a cockerel is mounting successfully (makes the connection), he's good to go in the fertility department.

And if it was my flock, and I wanted to duplicate a lost roo/cockerel - so to speak - I would set those eggs. You have nothing to lose but some eating eggs and you may very well get some chicks!

6. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:X2. Whats the worst that could happen?

Good luck! I'm so sorry you lost your boy! [​IMG]

7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    THanks for the replies. You are right - there is nothing to lose except a dozen or so eggs. I will set the eggs. If any chicks develop, it'll be an interesting combination. None of my araucana pullets are laying yet. So it would be Casper, the wheaton cockerel, over a jersey giant, NHR, an ancona and assorted EEs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would mean so much to me to have some chicks from Casper. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by