1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are odds of egg surviving....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amynbrent, Jul 29, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I moved two eggs to the incubator last night. They are on lock down. The temp started to rise a little so I turned the knob to adust it lower. Well I turned it up and it reached 120. It couldnt have been that long...maybe 30 mins. I candled it but I really cant tell if it's alive. It should be hatching any day now.

2. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    well, i did that a few years back with my first incubation, they still hatched.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    That's terrible but apparently I have done that, not that high but high enough 104, I just made the adjustments as soon as I realized it and sure enough they hatched...

4. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I cant believe I read the directions but still turned dial wrong way. My one egg hatched under the mom yesterday so this egg is a few days behind because of the lay dates. I took it yesterday and put it in the incubator figuring I would leave mommy to take care of her baby and I wouldnt worry about the egg she was sitting on. I still dont think it could have been that hot for that long but still the tought of the gradual time could be bad too. If there is no movement or pip tomorrow I will candle it and see.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have 2 arrows on my LG; the place ment of the lid and electric cord put the wording up side down and my brain read it wrong! My thermometers registered 108, at their maximum, so who knows what the real temp was! Clearly, you are not alone in such a mishap. BTW--I'm putting on a knob with ONLY ONE ARROW.

Hope the hatch goes well despite the spike. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by