What are Red Sexlinks and Black Sexlinks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by surroundedbychicks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. surroundedbychicks

surroundedbychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Woburn, MA
    What are Red Sexlinks and Black Sexlinks?

How do you tell if they are pullets or roos when they are still chicks?

I have 9 chickens (12 weeks old) and it is obvious that I have 4 roos.

Finally, how can I sell organicly raised roos on byc?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri and [​IMG]
    Red sex links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware Hen.
    **The Red Sex Link female hatches out a buff or red
    **The Red Sex Link males hatches out white.

Black Sex Links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster and a Barred Rock hen.
    **The Black Sex Link female is a completely black chick
    **The Black Sex Link males are black with a white spot on the top of
    their heads.

If you want to sell...go to the "Buy~sell~auction" section on the BYC form.....there pick th age group you are selling and place accordingly

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  4. surroundedbychicks

Jun 21, 2011
    Woburn, MA
    Thank you for the info.

I am a bit confused. I bought the day-olds from a breeder the Red Sexlinks were buff and red in color. He said he took out the white ones. However, 12 weeks later, they are most definitely cockerels. Any ideas on why this might be the case? And, what do I do about it now? Are there any places that buy roosters in Mass, Southern New Hampshire, or Southern Maine areas?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your seller guaranteed pullets, call him back and exchange them.
    There are many threads on here that explore the options for unwanted roosters. You might want to post pics to confirm they are roos.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:What makes you think ROO?? Sounds like right color for Pullet....and by that age, some may be getting color on the face, and comb area...please try posting pics [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Do you have some pictures? Female red sex links will be orange in color with white accents. Males will be white with red in the wing area.

8. surroundedbychicks

Jun 21, 2011
    Woburn, MA
    I love this web group! Thanks for all the beta and advise. I thought I posted a picture on my byc home page (one of my girls with a roo - handsome couple [​IMG].

I will try to post a current pic and one when they were day-olds to this string and see if it works. Let me know.

BTW, even I (and my neighbors) can now tell that they are roos by their very distinct, "cock-a-doodle-do".

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    you also have to remember sexlinking only works in the first generation(red roo over a silver or white hen). Crossing red sexlink hens with a red sexlink roo wont make sexlink chicks,yes you will get red and yellow chicks but the genders are not colour coded anymore. If that person you bought them from hatched them from red sexlink hens and a redsexlink rooster the sexing by colour wont work with their chicks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. mljohnson05

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Totally correct...I would call the person you got them from and ask who the mom and dad of your chicks were!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by