1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are Sex Links mixed with?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Donnigan, May 13, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I know they're a cross between a couple different breeds but i don't know which ones! :)
    Also how many varieties of Sex Links are there? I have Red Sex Links and have heard of Black and Amber. And where can i get different varieties? Thanks

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I believe there are really only two varieties Black and Red sex links but they are known by many other names (Black stars, Golden sex links, Red stars, Golden comet, Red shaver, ISA brown ect.). Black sex links I believe are crossed with a red rooster (Rhode Island red, New Hampshire Red) and a Barred Rock mother. A Red sex link I think is crossed again with a red rooster and a white hen (I think you can also use a Delaware or Silver Laced Wyandotte). Now I'm not an expert and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  4. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by