1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are Sex Links???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MonkeyZero, Jul 5, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Well, Someone said my RIR looked like a red sex link. Then I hear tons of People talk about sex links. What are they?

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    sex links are chickens crossed to look different when they are male than female when they are born for the purpose of sexing the chicken. my black sex links have white spots on heads if male and absense of spot if female.

3. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    You get a red sex link when you cross a RIR roo with a Delaware hen. The hens will be born brown pretty much looking like a RIR and the roos will be born white looking like a Delaware.
    I have a few of them myself. I am wondering what I will get when I cross 1 of those roos (white) with my Delaware hen. Will they look just like a pure Delaware? I don't know but if they live long enough I may try it. (preditors)

Jayare

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We have 4 big girls that were identified as being Red sex Links. Here they are at 4 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

And here are the Rhode Island Red chicks at 6 weeks:
    [​IMG]

The big girls are 13 weeks old and the little ones are 7 weeks old now, and the RIR's have definately darker reddish coloring, while the sex links seem to have a less deep red to them. I have to say, the sex links are the sweetest chickens I have ever seen

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I just wanted to say thanks for posting those pics! I am new to this and I *see now* that I have two RIRs. Are your RIRs pullets? Can you tell?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by