what are some easy ways for a begginer to sex his woodies??

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by lcw1995, Jul 9, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have 2
    they hatched on may 26th
    they have all there feathers..
    most of their feathers are the color and look of a female malard
    they have greyish colored beaks...
    thats about it..
    is there any other ways....
    thanks, cole. :)

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    The sounds they make will tell you. Males have a very faint voice. If you are hearing them much at all they are girls. Plus the males bill colors start to appear at 8 weeks

3. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    when they get stranded away from their mother, they just make a really loud peep peep peep peep until they find her. In the morning though when they come out of their pen its a real faint peep peep peep.....?? Confusing....

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    If their wings are feathered:

At this time of year, for banding we would be workng off Sam Carney's key. Here's what it says for wood ducks:

Sex Determination: The white trailing edge of the secondaries on females is much wider on the outer webs than on the inner webs. On males, this white edge is approximately the same width on both webs. On females, the first secondary proximal to these white-edged feathers is washed with black on the outer web. Males have no black on this feather.

Males: Greater coverts and middle coverts paler than blue tertial coverts; bluish color often confined to two rows of coverts nearest secondaries

Females: Greater coverts often iridescent only on outer webs; blue usually confined to two rows of coverts anterior to secondarys.

Clint

5. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    The easiest way to sex young woodies is the white coloring on the face. The hen will have a white ring around the eye and the drakes will develop a white stripe that runs from the jaw up the side of the face.
    [​IMG]
    If you look close at the picture the bird on the right is a drake you can see the white line just behind eye, and the one in the middle is a hen she does not have the white line and is starting to get the white ring around the eye. This gets more defined as they get older.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    same thing I was about to say waterdog.
    Of course when in doubt, just flip them over and vent sex them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by