What are some favorite treats for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AnaD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I keep trying to treat my new young chickens worms, but they don't seem to know what to do with them?
    Any suggestions on treats I should try?

Ana

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hmmm lets see...

Scrambled eggs
    Beemoths (waxworms) Always a hit with young chicks here
    Lettuce
    ham
    turkey
    chicken (YES i SAID CHICKEN! [​IMG] )
    oatmeal cooked with a little bit of their food
    Grapes
    And um...pretty much anything we eat [​IMG]

It all depends on the bird like mine wont touch watermelon at all

AC

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  3. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    My little flock of 5 seemed to not want anything but their chick starter until they were about 3 months old. Now, over the past two months they have branched out a little to enjoy:

Cut open pumpkin halves - especially the seeds and pulpy strings
    Pomegranate seeds - I just cut it in half and place it in their run with them
    Strawberries
    Shredded cheese

No one really likes worms but they LOVE crickets! I find the little creatures so icky carting them home in their little wire basket but that is just a testament to how spoiled my babies are.

One of their most favorite foods that they get on almost a daily basis is banana. I mush it up a little and let them take bites out of my hand - helps us bond and spend some quality time together.

I find that no matter what I give them I have to offer it several times before they seem to understand that this new strange thing is food. I had to offer strawberries about 4 times before they took to them - now they eat a strawberry in seconds!

Keep trying new foods and they'll be sure to let you know when they like one. [​IMG]

PS: Avocados are not good for birds - try not to feed them this.

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Mine love freeze dried meal worms.

Also left over cooked veggies, like peas, onion, carrots, green beans.

Usually when its really cold I make them some oatmeal and mix in something left over from the fridge.

They got the left over tuna helper the other day and went CRAZY!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    My husband is the one that feeds the treats...All he has to do is shake the scoop and they stop whatever they are doing and flock to the gates waiting for him.

He mixes up : Saflower seed, Red millet, Milo, Steam Rolled Oats, cracked corn and kicken chicken. He gives them a scoop every night. So spoiled. They love it!

Christie [​IMG]

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you kidding? Is there something that chickens DON'T like to eat???? [​IMG] Mine will actually purr for warm mashed potatoes. I make a flock block with oatmeal, bird seed, mashed potatoes, cayenne pepper, Peanut butter, eggs, milk, wheat flour, corn, and basically any leftovers that are laying around especially leftover CHICKEN and they LOVE that. When it's cold I whip up some warm oatmeal and pack it with scrambled eggs and cool it off with milk and they love that too. PASTA...course it's more fun just watching them eat it but they do love to eat the stuff too. Black oil sunflower seeds are their nighttime treat....and gosh, I could go on and on and on....

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Black oil sunflower seed, feeder roaches, waxworms, soldierfly grubs, mealworms, grapes, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, lunch meat, chicken, cat food, lettuce, spinach, apples, tomatoes, bread, beans, and fish. Honestly, anything besides their normal feed, they love. They get feeder roaches every week or so and I have to say, it's what they live for.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I read a lot about picky birds but mine like most everything and love mealworms, BOSS, brocolli greens (and most other greens), rice, yogurt definitely etc, etc, etc.

9. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Grapes, Strawberries, Mash, and Finch seed.

10. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have fed them many treats but the most common treats are scratch and BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). They always scramble like crazy for those! They recently had their first fresh greens from my garden and were a bit wary, though NOTHING was left after 1 hour. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by