What are some good treats to give to my Chickens????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lanie8, Nov 14, 2011.

1. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Hi guys , I have a question? does anybody know what are some good treats to give to chickens??? Thanks.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Pretty much anything you would eat is OK. And if it is healthy for you, it is mostly healthy for chickens.
    I give mine a salad nightly, usually chopped greens, other vegetables, fruits, a little carbs and leftovers, if I have any.
    It has been recommended that you keep the total amount of treats to 10% or less of their total diet, to keep them from diluting the the total amount of nutrients in the commercial feed.

Are you concerned about some nutrition issue with your chickens? or just want to spoil them.

Good luck,
    Imp

btw- the only thing off limits for me is avocado.

3. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys! I'm glad I know some good healthy treats to give them. lanie8

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    10 percent??? Oh, man, I'm going to hear from the chickens about this one [​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Two things from the kitchen they love is cheese and pineapple. My wife buys whole pineapple and cuts um up. The parts she cuts off I take out to the chickens. The first time they really didn't have a clue what it was. But now that they've found out, they jump on it. And the cheese, the shreaded stuff, just don't get to close. They will attack you for it. They get a lot of other things but that is their two favorites.

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Quote:Coincidentally, I just read that if your chickens eat pineapple, it makes their poop inedible to dogs. I was thinking of trying it for that reason!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:In a good way or bad way?

Interesting about the pineapple.

Imp

8. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    You want your chickens to love you, give them hot dogs. Hold it in your hand and let them munch on it till its gone. Just once in a while though, they love it. mine do.

9. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    oatmeal is one of my chickens favorite treats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by