What are some of your favorite DIY garden projects? Raised beds, rain barrels, trellises...

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by m.kitchengirl, Apr 14, 2012.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Hi there.
    I plan to expand my garden this year. My sons are on vacation this week, and it is time to make some raised beds.
    I want them to be attractive(ish) and easy for myself & my 12 year old to build.
    Affordable would be nice, too.

I have some ideas, but then I thought - all those creative BYCers must have some GREAT stuff in their gardens.
    So, let's see 'em - raised beds, fences, trellises, neat tomato cages ...
    Drop some DIY garden ideas on me. Pictures would be fabulous, but I can find inspiration in a few sentences, too. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    I have raised beds made from landscape timbers and 2x10's cut down. They work really well for me even if they are on the short side of things. I have a couple of others made from Cinderblocks that are a bit taller. I found this pic and thought it was awesome for tomato cages. I am using left over lightweight field fence as a trellis for my gourds and flowering vines. (it divides my backyard from my septic field so I know where NOT to plant edibles). I also have some towers that my husband welded for me over 10 years ago, I just keep taking them with me when I move. They are at least 8 feet tall after I put them in the ground, and are great for holding up more vining flowers. My rangoon creeper looked awesome on it. When I moved, I dug it up and transplanted it. It seems to like its new home.

[​IMG]

3. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    20 years or so ago we used a hole saw to cut holes in plastic barrels. We planted our strawberries in that. That worked good. Over time you lose a lot of soil out of those holes. We still have and use those barrels.

2 years ago we caught up with the times and made us 2 more. A little more work involved. Better design than a round hole for dirt to fall out of. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jbschickens

jbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Madisonville, LA

This is such a great idea! I was going to grow strawberries next year and this would be an awesome way for them to not take up a ton of space!

Also, I am working on making raised beds. I framed them out with 1x8 boards and it seems to be working really well so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by