What Are some peas that Are not cold hardy?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by arherp, Dec 28, 2009.

1. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I am going to' pick some up this weekend. How can I identify a breed(s) that would not do well in cold outdoor weather?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Any of the Javas are not cold hardy, other than that I think the rest are.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Congos are not cold hardy either,but I doubt you will ever find any.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Ok, sounds like I wont have any problems! If I can find any to' buy this Saturday, I will post pictures!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The greens, or and spalding with high % of green blood, will need heat. Your winter would be about the same as mine. All the congo will need heat also.

I keep alot of colors, but they are indiablues, in Ohio winters without heat!!!!

6. featherhead

featherhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    I've also heard that the whites don't do quite as well in very cold weather. True?

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I don't know anything about cold winters so can't comment on that, however more than a few times something to the effect of whites being weaker or harder to raise/hatch etc come up, so I'm guessing it may be in this group of "whites are weak" idea. In my experience there is zero difference between whites and blues except for color.

I kind of wonder sometimes if these claims come via there possibly being inbred whites.. as there also seems to be this idea floating around out there that to get "true whites" one must breed only whites to whites for "generations".. which may lead to some lines getting a bit inbred.. so maybe, inbreeding weakness? I've actually had more than few persons 'reject' my white chicks after finding out they were out of pied/splits or white x pied/split breeding.. in their minds they were not "pure white".. despite being solid white birds themselves..

None of my whites were out of white x white breeding, always deliberately crossed with whole slew of different colors from different sources over many years including silver pied, purple silver pied, BS silver pied, white eyed split white, currently raising blue split chicks from white eyed split for white bred with pure blue to add yet more new blood to whites, and so on(although after a massive flock reduction, I am going to have a pen of all whites this season..). Chicks hatch and grow same as any blue- very well n' easy.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    my whites do just as well in the winter as all my blues. Then Kev, may have a good point as most of mine are from pieds and silver pieds. Good records are need, to keep track of the white color. I have white blackshoulders, white peach, white purples.

I get enought whites from my pieds x pieds ,so I dont breed whites to whites.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Good to know white are as cold hardy as blues. I really suspect some cases of "weak whites" are due to inbreeding or something unrelated to being white.

Yup, also used to get enough whites from pieds and pied/white so I just never had an all white pen for that reason.

Deerman, how do you explain to people that a particular white is also "purple/black shoulder/etc" to someone who has a hard time seeing past the white surface? I've had a heck of a time trying to explain to someone wanting say, purple pieds why they would want a particular white(purple carrier/split) instead of the other white(no chance of being even a split purple)..

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I think that I heard that white spauldings may not be as cold hardy. I bought a trio of whites and lost them all, but I think that was from bad timing... They were coming from Kentucky and it was too hot to ship until fall. Then we had an early cold snap and I lost them. Think the temp change was too much, too fast. Right now I have two that were hatched and raised here in North Dakota, last winter they were just the size of leghorn chickens and they made it through -34F with no heat.

Every now and then someone sends me a picture of an 'albino' peacock that is 'rare'. It's a picture of a white peacock with dark eyes. I have to keep explaining to folks that just because it's white, doesn't mean that it's albino!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by