What are some tame aviary parrots

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by aldren90, Aug 17, 2011.

1. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Im looking into getting some smaller common parrors like cockatiels quakers budgies etc. For some aviaries what do you think would be a good species to get that could possibly be semi to tame ive done good with cockatiels in the past

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Either would be fine in a single-species aviary, but I wouldn't mix the ones you mentioned. I, myself, plan to (one day) build some outdoor aviaries, but that won't be until I'm down in south Florida. Where are you located? If you get winters with a lot of snow and wish to have your aviary outside, you'd have to plan some kind of shelter for cold weather. Of the three species you mentioned, quakers would be the most cold-hardy, especially if you had a colony and allowed them to construct a communal nest. There are colonies of quakers in and around NYC, Connecticut, and even Chicago that live wild. Also, I would recommend that you first seek to stock your aviary with birds from rescues. You'd probably save money, and also help out some birds in need of forever-homes. Good luck!

[​IMG]

3. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    North fl but i do great during winter dont lose anything

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You might be able to get away with simply having an area of the aviary that blocks rain and wind, into which they can retreat during cold spells, and perhaps with some sort of heat bulb if it gets to freezing temps. Check out the sanctuaries in your area. There are lots of small birds surrendered. I always figured that I'd go there first when it came time to stocking an aviary for budgies, cockatiels or lovebirds. I haven't asked yet, but I'd presume that a rescue would be elated if an outdoor aviary became available for their small birds.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by