what are some ways to sex 5 wk BR chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lulumammato2, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I need some help sexing my chicks for some reason I can't post pics (mabye not enough posts), I had some relly helpful replys about the leg color and the head spots and someone recently sexed them by holding them on their backs and the ones that didn't kick were hens? Is this accurate or is it just better to wait it out I think i've only got a few more weeks till their combs start reddining but if anyone has pics of their 5, 6 wk BR hens or roos mabye I could look at your pics?

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Yeah pics would help but you have to have so many posts before you can post pics( I think it's only 5 or 10 though) Another thing to look for is saddle feathers for Roos. But at 5 weeks I'm not sure if they would develop yet. As far as the kicking, I'm not sure about that. When you are able to post pics though try, because there are people on here that are great at telling Roos at very young ages! Oh, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your male barred rocks will be lighter color, larger white barring than the females who have larger black barring.
    Pics will help, those that breed them can tell at a glance [​IMG]

5. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    First, look at the general color of the chick: Silver/grey = Male Black/dark grey = Female
    Second, look at the comb: Size: Bigger = Male Smaller = Female -AND- Color: Pink = Male Yellow/Fleshtone = Female
    Third, Remember headspot when they were lil babies? Blotchy/Irregular = Male Round/even = Female
    Fourth, leg girth: thicker = Male thinner = female

It's easier to pick males out of a group than to judge an individual chick because you can see other chicks the same age and compare.
    good luck!
    [​IMG]

6. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    [​IMG]om/forum/uploads/79335_100_0068.jpg[/img] OK I hope this worked here are some pics( i think:confused:)

7. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Here are mine at 4.5 weeks (i think) They are both hens, although those combs had me going crazy for months!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. CannonChicks

CannonChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Here is one of my BR I'm pretty sure that Penny is a roo.

[​IMG]

9. CannonChicks

CannonChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Oh and he/she is 3 wks old.

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Penny looks exactly like my Nigel who started out life as Nigella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by