What are sure fire ways you know your chicken/hen is a bantam?

Cavendish Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Summit County, Ohio
I know I've questioned the size of my hen before. I really think she is a bantam. She (Mable) is very small, and her eggs are tiny. If you found them in the store, the size would be marked "small". She is a light brown leghorn. No buggy eyes. She's just very small, and lays very small white eggs. Her "sister" Gloria (who turns out is actually a white rock) lays large sized brown eggs, and is noticeably bigger than her. Mable nestles up to Gloria, and sometimes even tries to nestle UNDER her. Like Gloria's her mom or something. It's really cute. They have such a great bond. They were raised together. So... are her size, and size of her eggs pointing out she is a bantam hen? Thanks

55293_mable_11-27-2010_2.jpg

Last edited:
Um...banties are bred to be small, but there are small chickens too. Throwbacks or runts, or chickens who didn't get enough food during the right growth spurt. Some individuals just lay little eggs.

She has that dainty look banties have. What does her voice sound like? My OEGBs sound like squeaky toys compared to the other chickens.

I suppose she could be a mix.

I'm not sure. She rarely makes noise. She's pretty quiet, but the noises I DO hear are usually higher pitched than her "sister".

The guy we got them from apparently doesn't know as much about chickens as he acts like. He told us our hatched roo was a girl, and told us the white rock was a white leghorn.... And we're not the only ones who got the opposite of what we were told. Another girl I met online got pretty much a whole flock that he said were all girls... nope. Mostly boys. So there's no telling unless smarter people can tell me. This is our first time having chickens. So I don't know much.

Last edited:
I have a few, but they're not very good ones... and they're old pics. I'll have to try and get a new picture. Here are some. I can private message you with the new pic(s) when I get it/them, if that's okay?

Egg sizes hers are the white ones
55293_img_4579.jpg

All 3... she's the one in the back
55293_img00688-20101030-1111.jpg

Again... in the back... under the chair
55293_60550_1499669505793_1655834545_1164902_7125601_n.jpg

first night we had them... sitting on my leg
55293_gloria_and_mable.jpg

first day having them...
55293_gloria_and_mable_2.jpg

Here they both are... separate pics... but what they look like now...
55293_mable_11-27-2010_2.jpg

55293_gloria_11-27-2010_3.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe this helps. You can see my flock is mixed. The second from the left is an OEGB... the size of a soda can. The black/white spotted ones are exchequer leghorns...smaller-bodied large fowl.
36979_img_4582.jpg

Chickens 1&3 are sizzles, banties, but larger in comparison to other banty breeds.

Last edited:
How do you weigh or measure the size of a chicken? She is really skittish and won't really let us touch her too much. I get lucky enough to pet her a tiny bit at night before she moves away from me. But maybe if I could get a height or weight, or both, on her that could help determine too?

Quote:
Wait until she goes to sleep. Chickens are zombies at night. Pick her up and stand on a scale. Then weigh yourself.

But really, banty has more to do with what the chicken's breed is, not a size measurement.

Back
Top Bottom