What are temperature tollerances for hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by si vis pacem para b, Dec 9, 2011.

1. si vis pacem para b

si vis pacem para b Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    I built an incubator and a I am triing to get it all figured out. I left it running all night last night to see where the temps range. The light kicks on at 96 degrees and turns off at 101. I just want to know if those are acceptable temps or is it cooling down too much between cycles?
    Thanks

2. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    Can you post some pics on here to see what you are working with.. such as what kind of thermostat your using and what is your heat source and how many vents you have.. everything has an impact on how well it holds temp.. is it made from scratch from wood or is it something you turned into a bator .. like i said more info is needed to try and give you some help.. but i would not want that much of a temp swing .. from they amount of temp diff it sounds like you are using a waterheater thermostat.. in my experience which im no expert by any means but i have built a few bators and hatchers and i did try the waterheater thermostat but i did not care for the temp diff. maybe im a little picky but for a few more bucks you can use a wafer thermostat and they work way better.. i use a wafer in the hatcher im using now and i have a digital thermostat in my bator.. but anyway we could help you more if you posted pics and more info...

3. si vis pacem para b

Nov 1, 2009
    I cant post pictures but I can give you more details. I am using a water heater thermostat a computer fan and a 75 watt light bulb in a large igloo brand cooler. Where can i find a wafer thermostat?

4. Charon

Charon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    i had ups and downs in an lg the chippies seem pretty resiliant

5. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    I had the same problem.....until I placed my Heat source closer to my thermostat.

Google Rush Lane Poultry.

He makes Cooler/bators. He has a page on cooler bators and tips for Hot water heater thermostats. Look him up Very helpful...My homemade bator is up and running fine after that website.

6. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Quote:Same here, now it runs 99-100 consistently. Now if it just had a turner.

7. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Oh man am I happy with mine. I added an egg turner to it. I actually stole the turner from my LG to put in the homemade bator. The HomeBator holds temps better the the LG. I am very happy with mine.

Go to Tractor Supply and get one for $40....very worth it!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    si vis pacem, para b :

I cant post pictures but I can give you more details. I am using a water heater thermostat a computer fan and a 75 watt light bulb in a large igloo brand cooler. Where can i find a wafer thermostat?

Your water heater thermostat will work fine if it is close to your bulb. The closer the better and you will have less of a temperature swing.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Elect...MHRY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323557354&sr=8-3

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24_28&products_id=211

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=147

http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?groupid=18122&id=3122

9. si vis pacem para b

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for the tips I will try moving the thermostat closer to the bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by