1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the basics of showing a chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by swedishfish, Apr 24, 2009.

1. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Hi! Last year I got some Buff Brahmas and some Black Wyandottes from a man who's life was raising show chickens. I would have asked him for help, but the reason I got some of his chickens was because he passed away. I have wanted to put them into a show, most likely the county fair, but really don't know anything about choosing the best chicken. I know it's early, but I want to know as much as possible so that I can make sure my chickies look their best! Please just give me a rundown of all I need to know!

2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    was also wondering about this..

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Getting a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection is first on your list. Post pics on here and some knowlegable breeders can critque your birds. [​IMG] There's alot more than that, but its really difficult to type with a broken wrist.

4. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Like in open class or 4-H? They're really different....

5. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Well I'll be showing some lambs (yay!) with 4-H, but I didn't know you could show chickens in 4-H. I was just planning to do the fair show, but maybe that IS the 4-H one. I'll check into it!

6. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

If 4-H, check my response to the Showmanship thread that is on this page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by