What Are The Best Breeds Of Banty To Buy??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littleleeranch, Sep 27, 2010.

1. littleleeranch

littleleeranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    hey i know some1 who is selling out of all of their chickens for cheap....n i know they have all breeds of old english game...different breeds of banty and standards...please tell me some breeds that i should definatly look for...i am a breeder but mostly only have standard breeds dont have many bantys but please let me know what breeds are rare in banty and sell good...i know i am definatly gonna get her bb reds because they r sellin good here..thanks for all your help

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Games have hard competition in the show world. Duccles seem to be popular as well as cochin and silkies

3. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Question: You are looking to sell correct? Do you have any idea what your customers are wanting. Practical,show birds,hobby birds?If they are looking for practicle friendly bantams I would go for the cochins. If they are semi-interested in ornamental get some of the most common Old English game varieties. It really depends.

4. littleleeranch

Sep 21, 2010
    well im in arkansas n ppl come from missori n oklahoma around here to buy like brassy backs n bb reds..etc...i was just wondering what good breeds r that these ppl r probably attracted to so much...i know bb reds are way up around here idk if they r a show bird but if they arent i am wondering why ppl r wanting them so bad...for instance the person i buy my chickens from just sold some1 who lives 4 hours away 27 bantams... crele,bb red etc....for 340 dollars..n i was wondering y he would come from so far n pay so much 4 27 chickens.. ne thoughts?

5. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    I love my Bantam Cochins. They are so sweet and friendly, both hens and roos. I have several English Game Banties, hens are sweet but the roos are aggressive, one in partcular seems to dislike me and has drawn blood several times.

6. littleleeranch

Sep 21, 2010
    what i guess im really wantn to know is what will sell good if im just in it for the breeding....im lookin for profit...the ppl i buy my chickens from put a high price on their breeds like brassy back bb red ginger red black reds or something like that...what is gonna get me profit thanks [​IMG]

7. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Its a gamble, i dont know what else to say.

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I personally pick the breeds that I am attracted to and ones that I think the folks in my area would like. Personally I think variety is everything. If I were you I would buy several pairs or trios of different breeds to see what sells and what does not.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Nothing LOL You really don't make profits in the chicken world unless you are one of the top breeders in your breed, variety, ect. Of course there are exceptions I just think you will have to have a more dynamic business plan than selling a couple of varieties of OEGB's. What is their quality like. That will determine what you can sell them for. You will have to add up EVERY expense and then see how many birds you will need to sell. You might need a meat and egg operation in addition to make a profit. I know with just a two bantam breeds and a duck breed I have only turned a profit one month in the last three years. These are all things to consider when trying to make a profit. I honestly think its hard to make a profit with chickens. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying you will have to have some savvy. Is that what you are looking for? If not just say so and I might try to get you an answer. There has been some breed suggestions but nothing addressing your profit.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  10. littleleeranch

Sep 21, 2010
    the way i think of it is while they are young you dont have to use much feed for the first week or two or atleast i havent n you can sell quick n a little bit of money not much....but i guess wat im wanting is a breed that is a good layer so i will get a lot of eggs to hatch but are also a pricey popular bird....let me know what you think thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by