1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the best breeds to start with for egg layers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khowell31875, Jul 7, 2008.

1. khowell31875

khowell31875 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    I am wanting to get into raising chickens for the eggs and to give me and my children something to learn together. What are the best breeds to start with and how big should the coop be? I was thinking of starting with maybe 4-5. Also, how much room outside the coop do they need. I think I will need to do the fenced in run. Thanks.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, some of the best egg layers are Orpingtons and Brahmas, mild chickens, good layers. There are more breeds but I like these.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC!
    Here's a link to a great chicken breed chart, listing the pros and cons of most every breed. Which breed you pick for you and your family is really an individual choice.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Your coop should have a minimum of 4 sq. ft. per chicken; it's best if your run has at least double that. It's also a really good idea to cover your run, to protect your chickens from predators; especially the flying kind.
    Good luck with your (soon to be) addiction! [​IMG]
    Edited to add the link...duhhhhh!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Now seminole! I was trying to be a good girl and not push brahmas on a newbie. Thanks for doing it for me! [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I think Wyandottes are also nice chickens to start with.

6. MiniDriver

MiniDriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Massachusetts
    As a newbie, I chose sex-links (Golden Comets). I wanted to be sure to get pullets, and I wanted excellent layers.

You will certainly need a fenced-in run to protect your chickens from predators. with 4-5 chickens, you can use a fairly small (doghouse-sized) henhouse, with a 6x6 or larger run. I chose a covered run, to protect against predators.

There's excellent resources for learning about raising chickens on this site -- explore and learn!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

My golden comets are a delight too, though only 8 weeks old on Thursday. Tractable, affectionate, fast-growing...so far so good.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    So are my Black sex-link chickens. Must be the cross-breeding, huh?

9. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    After lots of reading and some experience, I'd say Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons & Americaunas. I don't have any buff orps YET but they have a great reputation, but I can say that my americaunas and australorp are so very sweet and funny and are good layers. A BA holds a record for egg laying of something like 360 eggs in a year! That's even through the winter... one a day almost for entire year! wow!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Out of my girls, I'd have to say the light brahmas, black australorps, rhode island reds, barred rocks and white leghorns have been the big egg producers for me. Nothing phases the RIRs. Although... my silver laced wyandotte just started laying at 17 weeks... so far I'm impressed! [​IMG]
    I'm beginning to think my Ameraucana was a fluke... she just didn't lay like y'alls girls do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by