what are the best brody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quintinp, Jan 16, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i have two rir's, and an australorp, and another hen, she is black and has red-orange feathers on heaad and neck i got the last two at our local trade days over fall, i was wondering if i have any good broody hens

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    My rir's never went boody. My Ameraucana's and Copper Maran go broody all the time.

3. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    My RIR's never went broody either. My Silkies and Buff Orpington's all seemed to want to be mommies.

Nancy

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Buff Orpingtons go broody all the time!

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    thank you for replying to me i heard australorps were kinda good though aren't they

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    They are a great laying bird, nice personality. None of mine ever went broody though.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No common hatchery breeds, or any hatchery breeds for that matter, are very broody if at all. (Except Cochins and Silkies)

True Araucanas, Ameraucanas, Marans, American Gamefowl, Oriental Gamefowl, Wyandottes, Cochins, Silkies, etc are all broody, granted that they are not of hatchery/poor quality. Hatcheries breed out broodiness to keep the egg production going.

My Araucanas for example will go broody just weeks after they begin laying, then when they're done with that batch, they'll get right back to setting some more eggs if allowed. And after that - They're at it again! [​IMG] They even take in "foster chicks."

American Gamefowl are also exceedingly broody and very good, protective moms.

8. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    i had an ameraucana, she got killed, maybe i will look into getting some chicks come this spring, or go to the local trade days and try to get some grown hens

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Word of advice - Most "Ameraucanas" out there are actually Easter Eggers (mutts) which in fact are anything but broody. [​IMG] To get real Ameraucanas you're gonna need to know the difference, then find a breeder who knows the difference between the two.

Out of the countless EE's I've seen people own and of all the ones I've owned, I've only once seen someone with a broody one.

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    my friend got some pulllets they are auracanas or ameraucanas, and he has eight of them i think, they are outside of his chicken pen, and they eat grass and seed, he keeps them separate from his other chickens they are grown now and he had an rir with them, but he got killed, but when he still had the rooster, it fertilized and one of his hens went broody, and he got two chicks, he has no rooster anymore, and the chickens are still outside of the pen, they sleep in the trees, but he got them as chicks at our feed store, you may have heard of it it is called orchelns

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by