1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the best meds to keep on hand?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dweder, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I have a small backyard flock, so may not be as vunerable to many conditions as larger flocks, but would like to keep a few remedies on hand. They are under 1 year old right now and have not been wormed. I did buy vaccinated chicks, so I am assuming that was for Mareks.

Can anyone give me a few suggestions?

Much appreciated.

2. OpheliaChick

OpheliaChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    CT
    I don't know if this is the type of "meds" you are talking about but I always keep a tube of Triple Antibiotic Ointment and Blue Kote.

3. dweder

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    Thank you for the Blue Kote suggestion. I will be sure to grab some.

What about things like Corrid, Wazine or Vimectrin Gold? Are these store bought meds, or only from a vet?

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I keep a Vitamin & Electrolyte powder to mix with their drinking water if necessary. It is really inexpensive and is great for new or weak chicks ~ much cheaper than buying Poly-vi-sol (without iron).

5. chickens egg me on

chickens egg me on Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    I keep colloidal silver, comfrey salve, and pumkin seeds (for worming). If you are into reading, there's a great book out there called, 'City Chicks'. It has so much information, you'll be thrilled. Best of luck!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I keep Vet RX, Rescue Remedy, Blukote, peroxide, betadine, Sulmet, Eprinex, Preparation H, Pedialyte, Poly-Vi-Sol, Neosporin, Bag Balm, syringes, Vet Wrap, pine tar and poultry dust. I need to get some Vitamin E caps, cat gut and possibly some new penicillin (mine just expired). This is the stuff I commonly keep around at all times.

7. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    CMV, what do you use some of your remedies for: Specifically, I am curious about the sulmet, eprinex, Prep H, Pine tar, poultry dust and Vit E.
    Thanks, Paula

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sulmet- cocci
    Eprinex- bugs inside and out
    Prep H- prolapse
    Pine tar- picking, but I hate this stuff so I rarely use it
    poultry dust- bugs in the coop
    Vit E- general conditioning agent. Most vitamin deficiencies in chickens are B or E. Poly-Vi-Sol has the B, but Vitamin E is fat soluble so it has to be gotten elsewhere.

9. dweder

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    CMV,

I will be asipring to become as organized as you are with the meds! I've managed to pick-up about half of that list so far.

Do you keep anything on hand for worming? Is that what you use Eprinex for?

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That's what I use the Eprinex for. Thanks for the compliment. My medical kit is not as all-encompassing as some, but I keep what I need on hand. A few years with a flock will leave you prepared for most emergencies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by