What are the best ways to keep humidity in an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L.L Farm, May 17, 2011.

1. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I just got a brand new LG Still air incubator earlier today and its been plugged in , and for the past 2 hours if had it at a constant 99.5/100. The humidity is at 60% and the water rings are full, and I have a wet sponge in there as well. Is there something that I am doing wrong? And what is the ideal humidity percentage should I keep the incubator at for the process of chicken eggs? I'll be putting them in on the 19th.

2. L.L Farm

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    bump

3. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    I have had great luck with humidity at 40-50 percent humidity for the first 18 days. Then I add sponges to raise the humidity. Too high of humidity at the start of incubation doesn't allow the air sack to form correctly.

4. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I have the exact same incubators as you, 3 to be exact. I use 2 for incubation and 1 for hatching. The 2 that I use for incubation...I never put water in. Just keep the temp at 99.5. The hatcher, I fill the slots with water (which you should do at day 18)...and occasionally add a soaked sponge!! I have great hatching ratios too! Hope this helps!!! [​IMG]

5. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
  6. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Humidity also depends on where you live. If you live in a humid climate you may not need water in the incubator. If you live in a dry climate then you may need to add water. But I have never had success in hatching if the humidity is below 40 percent for the first 18 days. But that is just my experience, I think you need to find out what works best for you.

7. L.L Farm

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I'm in Maine. So I would think that its pretty humid here? I just want to get everything right since I haven't hatched in a while and these are the first shipped eggs I've attempted to hatch [​IMG]

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
  9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    2 hours is not a lot of time to allow air to get saturated with moisture. I'd give it a bit longer before you think it isn't working.

10. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    different things work best for different people. I hatched serama eggs with my lil LG they were due to hatch may 7th, they didnt, I jacked that humidity up very very high 75 to 85 by using wet pampers. it steamed up both windows. and gingerly turned the LG down 2 degrees to a 97 degree.....may 8th four pipped and may 9 the 5th one pipped. That 5 out of 7 eggs going into lockdown.
    all 5 seramas are doing well at 9 days old today... sooo tiny!!!!

Donna in branson

PS. I also used ONLY distilled water in the LG

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by