What are the care and needs of Silver Bahama Pintails?

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
Hello all,

i am looking into getting a Pair or two of Silver Bahama Pintails, And just wondering what the care and needs of them are. I figure i would need to build a Avery (sp?) for them, but how big would it have to be? I know biger is better. And how do they nest? ( IE. using nest box's like wood ducks?) Also what size are the eggs?

Thanks Very much

you could keep a pair or two in a pen as little as8x12, they do well in mixed collections also as i do with mine, they prefer triangle boxes about 15x15 with a5-6 inch hole on one end but will use a regular square box on ground also.eggs are about the size of wood duks also

Quote:
Thanks, Also i live in NS, canada so have colder winters (the coldest week getting down to -30 range), do you think they would be able to stand these low temps?

Quote:
Ok thanks, because if i get them i would not want them to have any problems with the winters. I would put them in a coop but still.

Quote:
Thank's very much
big_smile.png

Quote:
Could you explain the triangle nest box further ? any pics or drawings ? is this a type of A frame next box?

Quote:
Thanks, Also i live in NS, canada so have colder winters (the coldest week getting down to -30 range), do you think they would be able to stand these low temps?

Yes they will need moderate protection form those types of temps, nothing major, they are pretty tuff, not as sensitive to cold as tree ducks are, but they will need an indoor (barn) style enclosure for the worst of your winters. My Minnesota breeding buddies all have to put their up in the winter along with their other tropical species, all other non tropical species handle any amount of cold just fine

Back
Top Bottom