What are the chances of having some fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    when our roosters have been gone for a little more than a week?

We have 4 pullets, 26 weeks old and we had 2 roos the same age. The 2 roos have been out of the coop/run for a week and are now gone to live somewhere else. What are the chances that the eggs that our pullets are laying now are fertile??

I am still new to all of this, so am not really sure if a pullets egg can be fertile??

Thanks

2. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    im not sure but hopefully someone has an answer! good luck

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Only one way to tell put in the incubator and candle them in 4-5 days you will know.

4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:How many days can they sit out (in my kitchen) before I incubate? I am waiting to see if we are going to get our heat fixed this week.

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    So, if by the end of the 4 or 5 days there is NO sign of fertility, what do I do with the eggs??

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:If the egg have been in the incubator and not fertile I would toss them. Sometimes it's difficult to tell if they are fertile at 4 or 5 days. I usually candle at 10 days when I can clearly see the embryo move then if there are duds, I put them in the trash.

A pullet can be fertile for two to three weeks after the Roos leave. The longer the less viable but if you incubate the egg up to two weeks there is a good chance the eggs will be fertile. if you have extras you can break some open and see if you have a bulls eye, the blastoderm which is the small spot on the yolk. A good bulls eye means that the egg is fertile.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:If the egg have been in the incubator and not fertile I would toss them. Sometimes it's difficult to tell if they are fertile at 4 or 5 days. I usually candle at 10 days when I can clearly see the embryo move then if there are duds, I put them in the trash.

A pullet can be fertile for two to three weeks after the Roos leave. The longer the less viable but if you incubate the egg up to two weeks there is a good chance the eggs will be fertile. if you have extras you can break some open and see if you have a bulls eye, the blastoderm which is the small spot on the yolk. A good bulls eye means that the egg is fertile.

I have noticed 'bulls eyes' on some of our eggs that we have already consumed. Normally we gather the eggs (not too many) and let them sit in a bowl on my counter in the kitchen a few days before I wash them to put in the fridge. Some of those I have seen the 'bulls eye' but not all.

I have 3 from yesterday on the counter, I will not be washing these. We'll see how many we get today and tomorrow and then go from there.

Should I store them with pointy side up or down? Right now they are lying on their sides. I got our last eggs from friends who knew all about this, so I am kinda clueless. The hatching was pretty easy, just have not done this part before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by