what are the chances? tiny egg.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Today,to my surprise,when collecting eggs....while waiting for my barred rock to deliver her egg for the day, she delivered and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a tiny little egg. She normally lays a regular sized egg,she even looked surprised lol. So, what are the chances of it hatching and surviving?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    The ones I've cracked open like that have been missing a yolk or are filled with air.

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    You've go a 50/50 chance.

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thanks...I think I will put it in my bator and see what happens. It's too small to eat, so it's no loss if it doesn't hatch. It would be really cool if it did.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Generally when you find these they are yolkless. It's usually a sign that your hen is fixing to molt, or go into a non laying cycle, or stop laying all together. Candle it and see if it has a yolk, but I'm 90% sure it won't depending on if it is the very small marble sized eggs I'm thinking of, or just a smallish regular egg.

6. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Ok here are some photos of the egg and one of my leghorn eggs and one of my Xtra-large eggs. If it doesn't have a yolk...then I will soon know when I candle on day 4( I will have regular size eggs in there as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there you go....

7. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It looks like a pullet egg to me.
    Each of my girls who went broody (and I've had 4 so far this season) laid a few of those right before she stopped laying and started sitting.
    They didn't have a yolk, just like everyone else has said.

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    i got an even smaller egg - about the size of a nickel, and it still had a yolk. we don't hatch them, so i can't really answer your Q. [​IMG]

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Well I guess the only way to find something out is try to hatch it...if it has no yolk,then I will know when I candle it. If it does and something develops from it,then good. It won't be any great loss if it doesn't have a yolk, but incase there is and it's fertile..well then,I'll try to hatch it. I can only try. It came from one of my Barred Rock hens, who is quite big(I have 2 the same size) They both have layed eggs of normal size ever since I've had them. Well one does for sure. It's hard for me to figure out who is laying and who is not. I have 19 hens and get about 12-13 eggs a day. Maybe the one who layed this little egg is just starting out? hmmmmmm.....

10. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:did you candle it to see if there was a yolk? or just crack it open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by