What are the chances?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jengrinager, Oct 4, 2016.

1. jengrinager

jengrinager Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    I have two Dark Brahmas that will be six months old in two days, October 6th, one Americauna that will be six months in a week, and one Buff Orpington that will be six months on the 18th. We have been getting one egg every day for the past 3 weeks. One of the Brahmas has a much deeper red comb than the other one. I know for sure that she is laying at least some of the time if not exclusively. Since we never get more than one egg each day is it more likely that just the one is laying? I would think that if both Brahmas were laying we would occasionally get two eggs in one day. I'm also surprised that once the one Brahma started laying she was so consistent right from the start. Is this usually what happens, once they start they lay every day? Is the color of the comb an indication of readiness to lay?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess is your buff Orpington is laying. Comb color and size can indicate a bird is fertile and could be laying. You can't be sure who's laying unless you see them laying.

3. jengrinager

jengrinager Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    What makes you think it is the Buff Orpington? She is the youngest of the four and has the least developed comb. While I haven't physically seen an egg being laid, the one Dark Brahma is the one who is spending time in the hen house during the day and clucking like she is the one getting ready to lay each day.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Just estimated start time for each breed. I was just guessing without a photo of your birds. If you think it's your Brahma it probably is, and she's laying pretty good for her breed.

5. jengrinager

jengrinager Just Hatched

Sep 22, 2016
    I have two Brahmas that are the same age. Only one of them has a dark red comb and she is the one I think is laying. The other one is much larger in size and her comb is nicely developed, but pretty pale in color. She might also be laying, but since this is my first rodeo the one thing I am wondering is how common is it for a hen to start laying and lay every day right off the bat? Is it more likely that the other Brahma is also laying, or perhaps the Orpington, and they are just trading off days? I would think that in a 3 week period of time, there would be one day in there where I would get more than one egg if more than one hen was laying. That is really my question. Thanks!

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I can only go off some generalities. Breeds like leghorns and sex links will usually start and continue laying for quite a while every day. Other breeds, as well as those two mentioned, it's common for them to start and stop as their system gets going. Many breeds don't lay daily, and many lay daily for a few weeks than stop for a few weeks.

I haven't owned the large breed version of Brahma, but they aren't known for egg production and I believe they are like my Cochins, though different breeding lines lay differently, but from my experiences it would be unusual.

@aart has a list of signs you can check for laying as far as how far apart the pelvic bones are. Maybe she will pop in and share them.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Vent:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yes, lots of pullets can and will lay everyday...It will slow down as she matures...Just enjoy them eggs.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by